Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lime Thyme Cream Phyllo Cones - Easy Dessert Recipe

Cones 11

Cones1-1

Cones 12-1

Let's be absolutely honest and not pretend to be lofty about it - when we cook, we cook to please others... We revel in the sense of pride and achievement when the ones we feed manifest delight over what we serve them. Well, luckily for most of us (food bloggers like us, anyway...) we actually find delight in cooking and pleasing our audience. So in the end, the endeavour is quite a win-win for both parties actually... wait a minute, I need to tag a little asterisk to that... provided the audience is appreciative.

The urge to please motivates the cook to constantly look for exciting and delicious recipes... and once in a while, impressive good food can run contrary to the general impression that 'good food is trouble'...
I picked up this recipe almost 10 years ago at a company team building cooking event. I was given the task of creating this dessert dish which eventually went on to become the unofficial winner of the meal. It was the first time I marinated strawberries with balsamic vinegar and I recall creasing my brows in sceptism as I read through the recipe then. It was also the first time I infused cream with a herb like thyme and I believe it was possibly also my first time having a working experience with those flimsy phyllo sheets. Yes, I was a late bloomer when it comes to pastry... The flavours, I recall, were so subtly elegant and the presentation with the phyllo nests ( I modify it to a cone here), so gourmet that I almost believed that I have some innate talent for baking.

And...wait for it.... the recipe is really easy to follow.  Utterly accessible and feasible for home cooks of all abilities!
Doubt not and hesitate not - get into the kitchen and start cooking!

Cones 11(250)
Recipe :

Lime Cream :
2 cups cream
4 sprigs thyme
1/2 cup sugar, castor
5 tbsp lime juice

Marinated Strawberries:
1 punnet strawberries
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp castor sugar

Phyllo Cones :
6 sheets phyllo pastry
2 tbsp clarified butter

Method :
1. Heat cream and bring to boil. Remove from heat and put in thyme sprigs to infuse for 20mins
2. Remove thyme. Return to heat ad bring back to boil. Add sugar and let simmer for 3-4 mins.
3. Take off heat and stir in lime juice. Chill in fridge for 2 hours.
4. Dice strawberries and sprinkle sugar and balsamic vinegar tover it.
5. Allow to marinate for minimum 30mins.
6. Butter 3 sheets of phyllo, layer on top of each other, then cut to rectangles. Wrap them around butter cone molds and bake in over at 180C for about 10mins or until brown.  (Alternatively, cut sheets into 4 inch squares and press these squares into lightly greased small muffin tins.

Assembly :
1. Pipe or spoon Lime thyme cream into phyllo cases. Top with marinated strawberries and serve immediately.

18 comments:

Lisa H. said...

This is Simple, elegant and easy to follow...n my kind of sweet treat ...
I like :D

Jane Chew said...

wonderful dessert! Love it.

Aimei said...

Looking at the photograph, biting the strawberries part with the pastry seems delish!

daphne said...

that's so true- i do like seeing other ppl enjoying my food. While I love the texture of phyllo, I am often frustrated as I am removing its sheets! You make it look so pretty!

WendyinKK said...

How true.
If my hubby is unappreciative of my food, I won't cook him another meal.

thecoffeesnob said...

It is so true- that we cook not only to please ourselves but also to please others.

These filo cones look impossibly sophisticated I'm surprised the recipe's so short!

shaz said...

I like the sound of the lime cream. Sounds really refreshing and appetizing. :) thanks for another great recipe!

Maria @ Scandi Foodie said...

Hmm I like the sound of these, the addition of thyme sounds really good! Phyllo is definitely a quick and easy way to make delicious savoury and sweet treats.

Anh said...

nice and simple, but I can see the flavours work here :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

interesting dessert, never have this before.

Jo said...

Looks delicious and elegant too as a dessert! Hmm I have some phyllo in the freezer ... thinking cap on!!

maameemoomoo said...

No buts about it. I too, cook and bake for others.. but sometimes, just sometimes, it's for meself! :)

First time seeing this dessert! Strawberry and balsamic? Whoa!

Edith said...

I have never tried marinated strawberries. Have a punnet in the fridge right now. Perhaps ....

kankana said...

Strawberries with balsamic is something I a hearing a lot these days ..i should definitely give it a try.. creme with thyme..well! I would have reacted the same way u did :)
This looks absolutely stunning ..

Yummy Bakes said...

I have never tried this - so pretty and beautifully done. Nice pictures too.

tinytearoom said...

I am loving the flavour combinations. This really looks like an easy crowd pleaser!

Angie's Recipes said...

Those crispy girly rolls look scrumpy!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe so, so true Shirley! I love feeding and pleasing people. These would certainly please anyone! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails