Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Baby Doughnuts/Donuts With Chocolate Honey Glaze

Donut10

Donut4

Donut8

As much as I love to play with flour and butter in the kitchen, there are still a couple of very simple and basic items which I have not yet tried. Among them are scones and donuts and one of the more trivial resolutions I have actually set myself in December is to try both this year.

This donut recipe is from an earlier issue of the Donna Hay Magazine. I had bookmarked this for the longest time but like many other little flags that are peeping out from the many cookbooks on my bookshelf, most of them continue to stay... shelved.  My bookmarked recipes kind of remind me of the 1000 concubines old Chinese Emperors used to house in the back quarters of the palace... beauties wistfully hoping to be picked by the emperor to pleasure him...  2 reasons made the sighting of this recipe memorable - the glossy chocolate honey glaze and the fact that these are made into bite sized. (I used a pineapple tart cutter, so you can imagine how small they are...)

Both the dough and the glaze were easy to make. Actual hands on time was less than 20mins and the rest was really leaving the the dough to proof and frying it in oil.

Donut2
As much as I adore Donna Hay Magazine, I seldom cook or bake from it. I spend more time ogling at the photos than cooking from them... hence I wasn't sure how this recipe would turn out.  The results are pretty good, as far as my limited exposure to donuts can tell. The dough is fluffy and suprisingly, not too greasy. The glaze, as expected, took the whole limelight. I liked it  that you can just pop this into the mouth and not have to munch through a whole full sized donut.

Definitely a great option for kid's parties! So one trivial resolution completed and one more to go!

Pin It   

Donut10(250)
Recipe :
Baby Donuts With Chocolate Honey Glaze (From Donna Hay Magazine) 

1 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tbsp lukewarm water
1/4 cup lukewarm milk
1 tbsp caster sugar
25g butter, melted
1 1/4 cups (185g) all purpose flour
1 egg

Vegetable oil for deep frying

chocolate honey glaze
30g butter
1/4 cup (90g) honey ( I used only 30g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g dark chocolate

Method :
1. Place yeast, milk, water and sugar in a large bowl and set aside in a warm place for 10mins or until bubbles appear on the surface.
2. Add the butter, flour and egg to the yeast mixture and using a spatula, mix until a sticky dough forms.
3. Turn out into a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
4. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean, damp cloth and set aside to proof for 45 mins.
5. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 mins or until smooth and elastic . Roll out to 1 cm thickness and using a 3.5cm round cutter , cut 25 rounds from the dough.  Using a 1 cm round cutter, cut a small hole in the center of the donuts.
6. Place the rings on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and set aside for 10 mins or until risen slightly.

7. While the donuts are proving ( I did this during the 45 mins proofing) , melt and mix chocolate , honey and butter in a bain marie (water bath) until smooth and glossy. Set aside.

8. Heat up oil in a deep saucepan until temperature of oil is 180C.  Fry the donuts in batches, giving roughly 3 mins on each side of the donut. Remove donuts from oil and place on oil absorbant paper.

9. While the donuts are still warm, dip them in the chocolate haze and place on a wire rack until set.



33 comments:

Jo said...

I am not surprised as to why you picked this recipe. The glaze is so inviting. I guess I have to do some donuts too which I have been putting off forever. I have to agree that there are too many recipes to try out. I keep buying cook books but likely to have tried out on one recipe in each.

NEL, the batter baker said...

Love that you made them bite-sized. Mini donuts are so cute and irresistible. The choc glaze looks so yummy. Now you're tempting me to make donuts again, and risk messing up my whole kitchen, just after cleaning it up for CNY!! LOL.

La Table De Nana said...

I don't know what they tatse like..but your babies are beautiful!

Juice said...

This just isn't fair. Just when I thought I had the will power to resist, I see this beautiful recipe. Yikes!

Happy Homebaker said...

These mini donuts are so cute! My kids will love them and I like that they are baked and not deep-fried. Btw, like you, I have got a thousand concubines too ;)

Li Shuan said...

Love these mini donuts. So cute and very inviting especially the honey glaze topping.

I am also a fan of Donna Hay's magazine. I adore her pictures and recipes.

Kathy said...

Yum! I love the glossiness of the frosting. I can totally see how this recipe is memorable!

http://milk-and-tea.blogspot.com/

Janine said...

these are absolutely adorable! and i love how the weighing scale(?) in blue reminds me of the classic donna hay blue :) i'm also guilty of buying her magazines and not trying anything from it :/

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Janine- it's not a weighing scale - it is a timer. Bought at... Donna Hay store when I was there last year :)

Mel (Sharky Oven Gloves) said...

Oh these are so cute! And the glaze sounds utterly delicious!! Doughnuts are also on my list of things to try this year – I'm not very confident baking with yeast or with deep-frying, so they're a bit of a double challenge for me.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Mel : Then you should really try this recipe. The dough is very easy to handle.

penny aka jeroxie said...

Love the look of the shiny glaze. I like looking at DH photos but only made one dish ever. As much as I love donuts, I don't like deep frying :|

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Penny : Same here.... I am now left with a whole pot of oil ... :) But deep fried food, especially savoury stuff are still one of my favourites... :)

lisaiscooking said...

These look fantastic! The chocolate honey glaze on top is lovely. I'm now seriously craving doughnuts this morning.

Mercedes said...

These look lovely! That glaze looks so yummy.

tigerfish said...

These are so dainty cute that they look like chocolate profiteroles!

pickyin @ LifeIsGreat said...

I'm glad you went the traditional deep fried route and not the 'healthier' baked (cakey??) doughnut nonsense. Heh...

Passionate About Baking said...

They are so cute and pretty. I like how the glaze is so shiny! As much as I would love to make this, it'll have to wait till all CNY goodies are finished up! LOL.

Martyna@WholesomeCook said...

They are so cute, and you're right about the beautiful, shiny glaze! One of my resolutions this year is to make fried donuts too - I've been making plenty of baked ones, but craving a really nice, fried one instead!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Happy New year Shirley! Hope you had a good CNY celebration. ;) Love your mini chocolate glazed doughnuts. I actually made a batch too during Xmas but didn't have time to post them up...*sigh* Guess I should post it up soon before it gets too "stale". :P

Sara said...

Super cute! I totally love these, they are awesome! :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What lovely doughnuts! They look so irresistible and pretty.

Cheers,

Rosa

daphne said...

My bookshelf is the same!!! All these tags! I am such a fan of donna hay and that just look so tempting and amazing!! I haven't had a donut for ages so that looks like I could have one in my mouth right now.

Cookie said...

they are gorgeous... I can almost eat them thru my PC right away!

Amanda said...

Wow! So cute and adorable, and 20 minutes hands on time?! You can't go wrong with that! This is exactly what our food lovers want to see on our community page! We would love to see you post your adorable doughnuts on our community page! http://bit.ly/wlZhX4 Cheers!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Shirley, Happy Chinese New Year to you.. I think all kids will not resist to this yummy and cute donuts, look at the chocolate glaze, so tempting!

Lenia said...

They look mouthwatering!New to your lovely space!I will follow you with pleasure!Drop by my blog if you want to get a taste of greek cuisine!Greetings from Greece,dear!

Anh said...

Oh look at these donuts! So inviting!

Edith said...

These are so cute!!! Who cares whether deep fried or not. Totally inviting!

Edith said...

I have something for you over at my blog. Hop over.

Deb said...

Delightful donuts! Your photos portray their temptation, compelling and scrumptious. A lovely post!

Trissa said...

I have a few recipes like that - they've been bookmarked and I've been meaning to make them - if only we had more time. Am glad though that you managed to make these donuts Shirley. They are adorable. I love the chocolate glaze - so shiny and inviting.

zenchef said...

I almost broke my computer screen trying to grab one! Evil! I mean.. Delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails