Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Pecan Snowballs aka Mexican Wedding Cookies

Snow Ball2

Snow Balls 1

I envy those who are able to post regularly. The frequency of my posting is made sporadic by my business trips. I especially dread these trips when the holiday season is near for I am one who enjoy the thrill of anticipation than the actual event itself. The festive air start to sizzle in Singapore from November when the downtown shopping belt becomes bathed in the annual Christmas Light Up. The Christmas light up in Singapore is especially beautiful this year, thanks to the APEC meeting which was held here in mid October.

I have dreamt of baking up a storm every year, churning out trays of cookies, cakes and sweet treats to be packed in pretty boxes and presented to friends as Christmas gifts. Unfortunately, I have never been able to do so as my travel schedule invariably gets packed all the way to just a few days before Christmas. Last year, I only managed to get back on 23rd Dec. This year, slightly better, I got home on the 20th - totally drained. I didn't get to bake until late tonight - turning out only 2 trays of Pecan Snowballs also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies.

I chose to bake these as they are relatively easy to make and keep well. For those who are not familiar, the Mexican Wedding Cookies, are special occassion cookies served usually during weddings and Christmas. They are made with either ground almond, hazelnut or pecans. The texture of the cookie is buttery and short - best described as 'melt in the mouth' . The cookies are also known in different regions by different names. They have been called Snowballs, Russian Teacakes or Swedish Teacakes.

They would be absolutely divine with coffee but are equally hard-to-put-down when eaten on their own.

There are a couple more stuff I would like to make for give aways - if I can juggle working in the kitchen, cleaning my apartment and preparing for my Christmas Dinner party. Till the next posting, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Pecan Snowballs Recipe :

60 g      Toasted Pecans
100g     All purpose plain flour
40g       Corn Flour
1/4 tsp  Salt
115g     Unsalted butter
15g       Icing Sugar
1/2 tbsp Water
1tsp      Vanilla Extract

Method:
1. Sift plain flour, corn flour and salt together.
2. Blitz pecans with 1/3 of flour mixture.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter with a paddle attachment until light and creamy. Add Icing sugar and beat at low speed. Add water and vanilla extract.
4. Add flour mixture in 3 additions.
5. Chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
6. Shape the chilled cookie dough into round balls.
7. Bake in a 150 C preheated oven for 25 mins.
8. Cool down cookie and roll in powdered sugar.

2 comments:

WendyinKK said...

The Malaysian version is called Kuih Makmur, translated as Peace Cookie. Using ground peanuts, filled in the center, clarified butter instead of regular butter.
Melts in the mouth with confectioner's sugar coating tooo.... yummy.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Happy Holidays, Wendy. The Peace Cookie does sound yummy...I can feel it melting in my mounth already!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails