Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bourke Street Bakery's Ginger Brulee Tart

Ginger Tart2

Ginger Tart1

Ginger Tart3

For the last few days,I held the Bourke Street Bakery cookbook close to me like a bible. I would be poring over it in the kitchen,on the couch before the TV and finally before I turn in for the night in bed.... There are many good things in the book that get you excited.
The inspiration from that first visit still linger. I would have gladly replicate the ginger brulee tart immediately after I got back but the lengthy prep involved would have called for more patience and I just couldn't wait - hence the Passion Fruit Meringue Tart got its showcase first.

Ginger Tart4
For those who are keen to try this, make sure you start 2 days in advance.
The cream needs to be infused with the spices overnight. Subsequently, after the custard is prepared, it has to be refrigerated overnight again. If you are the sort who can only manage one item per day, then you would need to get on with the sweet short crust pastry a day earlier. So much work? I think it will get more breezy after repeating this a couple more times, when the routine becomes more familiar. It is really not so difficult and the end result turns out really quite similar to what I ate at the store.For those who are not able to travel all the way to Sydney bakery for their treats, this is the greatest option available. And then, for those who are reluctant to pay AUS$5 per tart, you can save quite a few quids by making them yourself. The authenticity of the cookbook makes it a gem and because these treats are meant to look rustic, you can get away with a little shoddy workmanship and still look like a kitchen goddess.

If you fancy a Chai Spiced Brulee, you will not be disappointed.
Ginger Tart2(250)-100
Recipe:

720ml pouring (whipping cream) (35% fat)
5cm piece ginger, finely sliced
1 cardamon pod, bruised
1/2 cinnamon stick
10 egg yolks
80g caster sugar plus extra for burning
1 qty of sweet short crust pastry (see here)
1 1/2 tbsp pistachios chopped.

Method

1. Put cream into a saucepan, add ginger,cardamon and cinnamon. Heat up. Once it starts to boil, remove from heat and leave to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to infuse flavours.

2. Next day, bring (1) to simmering point and remove from heat. Leave aside until ready to use.

3. Place egg yolks in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add sugar and whisk for 30seconds until sugar dissolve. Pour in warm (2) slowly and whisk at low speed to combine.

4. Transfer (3) into a Bain Marie pan and heat over a simmering water bath. Make sure the pan does not touch the boiling water. Whisk the custard mixture using a hand whisk for 10-15mins over the water bath until smooth and thick.

5. Remove pan from water bath. Whisk briskly for another 2 mins to cool.
6. Over the next hour, whisk the custard quickly every 10mins until custard cools down. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

7. Roll out sweet crust pastry and cut into 11cm circles. Line 8cm tart cases. Refrigerate lined tart cases for 20mins. Blind bake tart cases at 200C for 25mins.

8. Cool down baked tart cases completely.

9. Pipe the refrigerated custard (6) into tart cases. Overfill the cases and spread the custard over edges of case.

10. Cover top of tart with castor sugar and with a blow torch, burn sugar until it caralmelises. Sprinkle chopped pistachios over brulee tart.

30 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

This is my ultimate dessert! CRisp on the outside soft in the inside.
P.S Chee cheong fun with curry is very common in many part of Malaysia. I grew up eating that :)

grub said...

oooo so this is the tart you were raving on your twitter :P it looks so delicious :D i should really make brulee one day, the blow torch part seems fun :D

Zurin said...

oh my that does look good Shirley. Love teh pistachios on top too!

btw thanks for the tip for the marshmallows. and I looked up your recipe for marshmallow. Unfortunately I cant use gelatine leaves but I have a good mind to try a combo of gelatine and a little agar agar and of course teh cornflour (now why didnt I think of that!). the agar agar cld help it get set firmer too I suppose albeit a little chewy .

I mite after all try to make marshmallows again... like they say 'never say never'.

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

I haven't got a particularly sweet tooth but this made me drool. I've heard a lot about this book and I'm trying to get hold of a copy. Your photographs are wonderful.

La Table De Nana said...

Yours look pastry shop worthy! Gorgeous..I love cookbooks that inspire me so much I take them to bed:)

Marysol said...

With desserts as tempting as this one, it looks like I'll be buying another cookbook.

Swee San said...

pic #3 to die for!

Maria @ Scandi Foodie said...

This looks so gorgeous Shirley! Yum!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

You really chose right with your recipes Shirley. This tart is amazing and I had a hard time getting my half from Mr NQN :P

Anonymous said...

Yummy tarts! :)

Joanne said...

Man, these are definitely inspirational. All that gingery goodness in my favorite dessert form - creme brulee! Genius.

Lisa Ho said...

A delicious looking tarts....
What a coincident...I posted Chai Creme Brulee last week :)

jo said...

Shirley, this has to be ultimate dessert! Love the flavours and the crystalized topping .. ooh so yummy and the soft custard oozing out. Gorgeous

Little Inbox said...

It looks so tempting. This is a great dessert!

Anh said...

one of my favourite tarts, EVER!

Trissa said...

Start two days ahead? Oh my - that's asking a lot but it sure looks worth it.

tigerfish said...

Goodness! The planning starts 2 days before! You have the patience, lady ;)

A kind of brulee tart ready to wow too!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

i wish to become your neighbour, so I can test all your wonderful and delicious dessert, cake & etc. This look so heavenly!

maameemoomoo said...

Now i regretted not getting the book! *boo hoooo*

With so many raves, i should have known better. Lovely lovely looking tart there ;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh wow, you did a wonderful replica of the one Bourke Street bakery is selling! Love the caramelized surface and the creamy filling...yum yum!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Looks amazing. I can't wait to get back into the kitchen and cook again!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Rustic desserts that remain gorgeous in their own way are my favorites. Pastry chef perfection is sooo last season anyway ;p. Love these, both the look and what I imagine the taste to be.

Cooking Gallery said...

This is a gorgeous dessert! I especially love the creamy filling of the tart!

Pei-Lin said...

With the combo of spices and other ingredients used here, I'm trying to picture the combined flavor. Must be mind-boggling! I'm a fan of cardamom-scented stuff!!

pierre said...

this is cruelty to see this without eating it !!pierre

Cakelaw said...

Gorgeous!

Noob Cook said...

woah two days in the making but it looks well worth it, gorgeous!

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

That custard looks BEAUTIFUL. So smooth and inviting...

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I would die to try this. That looks so good.

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

That looks sensational! Love that picture with the ooooooooooze.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails