Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cherry Tea Cake


Cherry Tea Cake 6

Cherries

Jumping on the Cherry wagon again - with prices coming down as the cherry season peaks, they are hard to resist. Wendy, you will be envious to learn that these are now going at S$11/kg! Geez, I am sounding like an auntie now and I probably look the part of one as I continued to circle the crates of American cherries while clutching onto my kilo punnet of cherries. On the other side of the 'cherry island' at Carrefour, I overheard a Chinese Auntie telling the assistant that she wanted to buy 5kg of cherries.... judging from the way every shopper seems to be clutching onto a bag of cherries, I would say we are all going gaga over cherries.

It is easy to be swept by the craze and over buy. Why, I was even contemplating to go back for more later this week...but then, it struck me that apart from eating them neat, I really don't know very much what else to do with them. I had tried making a cherry pie some time back and was pleased with the result . However,as  I flipped through my cookbook collection and searched online, it seems like the most common cherry recipes are essentially pies and tarts. Having been away from my kitchen for a week, I just wanted to work on something simple that could serve as fodder for this blog and be presentable enough to bring to the office. (so that I don't have to eat everything by myself !) 

Cherry Tea Cake 5

This recipe is taken from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes. Essentially a Financier recipe that calls for the use of browned butter, this provides an interesting alternative to the standard yellow cupcake, vanilla cupcake or chocolate cupcake that form the basis of almost all cupcake recipe cookbook. The texture is deliciously springy and I only wish I had used more cherries to impart more tartness to the cupcake.

Cherry Tea Cake 3(100)
Recipe
Unsalted butter                141g
All purpose flour              114g
Ground Almond               1 cup
Sugar                               160g
Salt                                  1tsp
Egg White                        5
1 tbsp                              Kirsch

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Add ground almond, sugar and salt. Wisk to mix well.
3. Heat and brown butter in a heavy saucepan. In the mean time, whisk egg white into (2).
4. When butter has turned brown, (be careful not to burn butter) whisk butter  into egg white and flour mixture. Add butter in a slow trickle to ensure homogenous mixing.Let batter stand for 1/2 hour.
5. Add 2 tbsp of batter into cup cake liners. Insert a cherry (with stem intact) in the middle of cup cake.
6. Bake at 200C for 12 mins - 15 mins.
7. Cool down.

16 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Eh... similiar to Zurin's one hoh.
Also with almonds.

I'm posting a cherry clafoutis tomorrow. :)

Hate it when it's so cheap in Singapore, it's still crazily expensive here. I got one stupid punnet for 10.90 last week. which was RM5 cheaper than early season. Comparatively still super expensive.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Oh yes, you are right! It just occurred to me that Zurin made a financier cupcake with cherries too...

Allie said...

Cherries are everywhere! I was just looking for a good recipe that uses cherries and happened to see your post. Your cupcake looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love eating fresh cherries. But over here, it's just so expensive.

Bakericious said...

I prefer eating fresh cherries but the cupcakes looks so good :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Shirley,
The teacake, or financiers, looks nice. I love cakes when they have almond meals added. It just gave the cake that extra nutty taste! Thanks for sharing!

Angie's Recipes said...

Breakfast time here....some freshly brewed tea and these cherry muffins would make a perfect start of the day!

Cheah said...

Stumbled upon your blog. This cherry cupcake looks awesome, especially with the cherry stem. Great pictures you have out there too!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots :) I love how you left the stem in!

Pei-Lin said...

Shirley, I gotta agree with you. I'm one of those who can overbuy stuff when in reality, I don't really need them. I have a tendency to stock up on items, especially rare bakery supply items and ingredients. I have a few targets to hunt for when I'm down in Singapore soon. LOL! I go to hunt in an urban jungle. LOL!

Yea, I heart beurre noisette in my baked goods! If possible, I try to incorporate it into my bakes. It adds such a nutty touch to my food. =)

I just saw gobs of bing cherries at the night market just now. Stood in front of the fruit stall, contemplating on whether to buy some. But then I thought to myself, "Heck, let's channel my money into apples, orange, grapes and durian!" Haha! Hope I can bring something durian for you guys soon!

Can't wait to see you all! Take care till then!

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Looks really yums Shirley! And I like that they're single serving =) Beurre noisette is the bomb. An absolute must for financiers. I gave zurin this link too but in case you ever want a very classic and fail proof financier recipe, here's one: http://mrsmultitasker.com/2010/03/14/financiers/

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Thanks, Clare. Will definitely check it out.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MaryMoh said...

What a beautiful cake with a cherry hidden in it.....cute! I love it.

I heart cupcakes said...

I love the little cherry stem sticking out from the top of the cake - lovely looking cake and I bet it tastes gorgeous as well!

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Lovely cakes! I love the fact that you used browned butter too..must be an extra aromatic cake :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails