Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Chocolate Marshmallow PopCorn


Popcorn 6

Popcorn 10

Popcorn 1

This one's for the kids and the kid that still lurks in the adult.

A few things came together for this. When I had  to go to Manila last week for an overnight, fire-fighting session, I had the chance to prowl the supermarket near my hotel again. This time round, I found a bigger and nicer supermarket. The Landmark supermarket at Makati is, I believe where the middle class locals shop. They stock a wide variety of groceries at what I thought, were reasonable prices.

I only brought an overnight bag so that wouldn't allow me to 'load up'. I was more intent on checking out the shelves to understand what the locals eat. I was amused by the wide selection of canned corned beef on my first trip to Manila... and of course, I bought my first bottle of Tala ng Talangka. (crab fat) As I prowled the aisles this time, the most unlikely things caught my eyes - Packet popcorn and Powdered Fruit Drinks (think Tangs, that comes in handy single portion satchets and a whole spectrum of flavours...).  As for the popcorn, I was amused because in Singapore, these are usually tucked in some remote corner at select supermarkets and there is almost zero chance for me to catch sight of them. However, in Manila, there is a whole section dedicated to them. In addition to the standard, no frills-box packaging, these flat paper bag versions intrigued me to no ends. There were different brands and a variety of flavours that span from Crispy n White, Butterlicious to Caramelicious. Truly interesting and at S$1 a pack, (US$0.70) , you would get enough pop corn to last you through a 2 hour movie!

Out of their cellophane bag, these packs unfold to look like a flattened sandwich paper bag. Chuck it in the microwave for 2-5mins (as indicated by the instructions on the bag) and hear the corns pop and watch the paper bag balloon up in your microwave oven - the journey to connect with the kid in you starts here!

Popcorn Collage

Popcorn 8

I have to confess, I am not a big popcorn fan - I bought these just out of curiosity. I gave 2 packs to my friends and save 2 packs to play with. Now that I have popped the corns, I really don't wish to sit around clutching the bowl in front of my TV. Then came the Waitrose Mini Marshmallows I had bought 2 days ago. Once again I bought these out of emotional allure than for practicality. Combining these 2 ingredients together with dark bitter chocolate - it worked out better than I had imagined. The POPsicles  would appeal to the kids and the dark chocolate will win over the adults.  I made 3 POPsicles in total. I  ate one and gave 2 away to my neighbour's daughter - she was squealing with delight :) .. ah kid, I hope she appreciates what she is eating - that was 70% Bitter Valrhona Chocolate! Gosh, I still have an almost full bag of popcorns - I probably should give these to her mum - yeah, good idea.

Popcorn 4(100)

Recipe :

Small paper cups
Ice-cream sticks
Mini Marshamllows
Popcorn                     50g (before popping)
Bitter Chocolate         90g
Butter                        10g

Method:

1. Pop popcorn according to instructions. Set aside.
2. Line 3-4 paper cups with mini marshmallows
3. Over a water bath, melt bitter chocolate with butter.
4. Toss pop corn ( you will have more than enough pop corn. I used the paper cup to measure 3 cups of popped corns and added these to the melted chocolate) in melted chocolate.
5. Spoon coated pop corn into marshmallow lined paper cups to fill 1/5 of the cup, taking care to pack the pop corn tightly.
6. Insert an ice- cream stick into the the popcorn, continue filling the cups with coated popcorn and pack tightly. (you will pack very tightly otherwise, the ice-cream may come off when you demold the POPcicles)
7. Refrigerate to set chocolate.
8. Use a paring knife, go round the rim of the cup to loosen the popcorn. Carefully ease out the POPcicles from the paper cup.
9. Additional marshmallows can be stuck onto the base using melted chocolate as the 'glue' . If you do that, return the POPcicle to the refrigerator for a few minutes to set it further.

22 comments:

grub said...

we have those microwavable popcorn in paper bags in Australia too. strange to hear that they are quite hard to find in Singapore. in Australia they are placed in the chips and soft drink section ;)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Hi Grub, yes I can believe that you would have these in Australia...we rarely eat popcorn and I suppose possibly the only time we eat these is when we go to the cinema. The last time I looked yesterday, we don't have these. We only have boring,no-frills type - just corn :(...

WendyinKK said...

I've seen this in supermarkets long ago, say... hmmm.... 7 years back, before I got my own microwave. I bought one pack anyway, and it went expired after that. Haven't been seeing them since.

Very good idea to line the cups with marshmallows!!

Angie's Recipes said...

That's fun to play with and I believe that even adults love them but dare not to take too much due to high sugar content.

oneordinaryday said...

What a fun treat. The presentation on the stick definitely adds to the fun.

mr. pineapple man said...

i wanna try one!

Jo said...

This is so cute ... definitely brings out the kids in all of us.

Anonymous said...

I am not a big fan of popcorns too. But I do enjoy abit once in awhile. Am sure kids would love this.

Anonymous said...

This recipe is AWESOME!!! Love to have a stick now!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Shirley these are a brilliant idea! I have all of the ingredients with me too (including strangely enough, the mini marshmallows :P). I also really like wandering around overseas supermarkets. There are such great finds! :)

Swee San said...

Shirley, you can now make popcorn ice cream!!!

Lily Leaf ♥ said...

this looks delicious!!
I'm going to try this snack for my cousins and my family for a movie night :)

Juliana said...

This is so cute...love the idea of pops...very creative :-)

Anna Johnston said...

These look wicked, I never would have thought of doing something like this so thanks for the great idea. Agree with Shirley, Aussies are a bit popcorn deficient usually only splurging at the movies.

Edith said...

They have this microwave popcorn in singapore too. I remembered when I first saw this, I didn't know how to "cook" it. It ended up as BURNT bag of corn.

Now I rather get them in bags and pop them in my wok.

I am sure my kids will love the idea with marshmallows.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Oh,Edith, guess I am Sua Koo... :) The thing that does it for me is actually the chocolate coating :)

Y said...

AND they're on a stick! Cute!

Joudie's Mood Food said...

This is sooooo cute. I do lots of kids parties with food and this will definitely be up there in the list. Very nice!

pigpigscorner said...

What a great idea! Looks like ice-cream =)

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Oh yes, we know those bags here in the Netherlands. My kids would love these treats, they look great, but I'll save the Valhrona (I don't have) and use regular callebut chocolate. Love the Spanish sounding music btw

amiscell said...

These really look gorgeous!

Lydia said...

I can't show this to my boy. lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails