Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bourke Street Bakery's Berry Custard Tart

Strawberry Tart

Strawberry Tart 3

Strawberry Tart 8

Strawberry Tart 4

When delectable strawberries start to find their way into grocery stores, it is difficult to fend off their draw. Those little red gems are trickling in from the North - Japan and Korean. Albeit still a little pricey as it is still not the peak season for these strawberries but they are too alluring to ignore.

I think I will need to officially proclaim the Bourke Street Bakery cookbook as my favourite cookbook of 2010 moving into 2011. I find myself flipping through it every other day, drooling over the rustic,scrumptious treats.For the third time, I am drawn again to their tart recipe... yes, I am that boring but trust me, dear folks, they are truly delicious.

Less work than the Ginger Brulee Tart or the Passion Fruit Meringue tart, this one works with a classic creme patissiere filling. I, have, for some reason always feared the pastry cream. I have a tendency to either overcook or undercook it. Stirring the custard in the pot, I am always unsure if I have already reached the 'end point'.

Bourke Street Bakery handles the creme patissiere a little differently and for the first time, I feel that I have really achieved a successful custard! First whisking the sugar and plain flour into the egg yolks, a smooth base is already created before the warm milk was added. Cooking the custard without corn flour, allows it to thicken gradually, hence the custard continues to stay smooth and light. For this tart, the custard was further aerated with the addition of whipped cream. The overall texture was silky smooth,creamy yet light with just the right level of sweetness - a perfect combination with the tart pastry and the juicy berries.

I can't wait to use this custard again and again...!

Strawberry Tart(100)
Recipe :
1 quantity of short crust pastry (see here)
750g creme patissiere (see below for recipe)
20ml Grand Marnier
80ml Pouring (whipping) cream
500g Strawberries (original recipe features a mixture of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)

Method :
1. Prepare tart cases as demonstrated here.
2. Whisk creme patissiere with Grand Marnier on high speed until smooth.
3. Whip whipping cream into soft peaks. Fold the whipped cream into (2) and place in the refrigerature for an hour to chill.
4. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the custard mixture into each tart case and arrange berries on top. Serve immediately.

Creme Patissiere (You need to triple this recipe for the above tart recipe)

250ml milk
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
50g castor sugar
3 egg yolks
15g all purpose flour

1. Into a saucepan add milk and vanilla seeds and bean. Heat up until just boiling point. Remove from heat and pour into a container to cool. Refrigerate at least 6 hours to allow vanilla to infuse.

2. Gently reheat milk over low heat. Put egg yolks in a metal mixing bowl. Gradually whisk sugar into egg yolks until completely combined. Continue whisking while adding flour until a smooth mixture is obtained.

3. Pour warm milk through a fine sieve into (2). Whisk until smooth.

4. Pour (3) back into saucepan and bring to boil. Stirring it continuously with a wooden spoon. Once the custard boils, reduce heat to a simmer for another 5 minutes. Stirring must be done throughout.

5. Cool down and refrigerate.

31 comments:

j3ss kitch3n said...

shirley this is indeed a delectable dessert! beautiful pictures as well. thanks for sharing =)

Karen from Globetrotter Diaries said...

MM, as usual looks beautiful... I'm not much of a baker but I will have to check out this cookbook!

Yummy Bakes said...

Shirley, these are tarts are so pretty and yummy.

Quinn said...

Someone has been baking a lot from Bourke Street's Cookbook it seems. I love tarts too, they are individual and could be easily shared and passed around. Yours look so beautiful! Unfortunately, strawberries are not at its cheapest here now Down Under but the custard sounds velvety smooth! Yum!!!

Ribbon and Circus said...

shirley, this are adorable and lovely.. I've bookmarked this for my future ref..TQ :D

WendyinKK said...

I love custard tarts.

pickyin @ LifeIsGreat said...

Thanks for talking about BSB Shirley, I found out about it through your tweets.

I got the book! Am starting with one of the item from it. Crossing my fingers and toes.

Prerna@IndianSimmer said...

Oh wow, Shirley That looks out of the world! You just made me crave something sweet now. Gotta get up n get some ice cream from the fridge n its midnight! All ur fault :-)

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

This book has been on my wish list for a while but it's now a must have purchase since you shared this beautiful recipe. Your photos of the custard are wonderful.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I am with you on this. I have 2 baking books that I adore and this is one of them. Never fail!

La Table De Nana said...

Shirley they are beautiful..and I know they must be delicious..Just beautiful!

Angie's Recipes said...

Shirley, these strawberry tarts look beautiful and delicious!

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Molto invitanti , bellissime

Trissa said...

I can see what you love this book so much with all the sweet treats you've been churning out from your kitchen! Berry Berry nice! :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Yummy! Your strawberry custard tarts looked very pretty and tempting too! It's been a while since I made some tarts.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love fruit tarts.

thecoffeesnob said...

This looks utterly delicious, Shirley! I have to admit that I actually have the same cookbook but have yet to bake anything out of it due to time constraints- some day soon, I will.

Be safe, Shirley, on all your upcoming business trips!

Anonymous said...

I can see you are slowly making all the lovely tarts from BSB book. These ones look lovely!!

Dinewithleny said...

Shirley, another wonderful creation by u. Im still droolinh over d ginger brulee tart. =)... wonderful photos too.

busygran said...

Beautiful tarts and lovely creamy custard!

bigFATcook said...

Damn this looks good!! I'm a huge strawberry tart lover. YUMMY!! :)

Lynn said...

Oh! These looks sooo tasty and pretty!

Medifast Coupons said...

Custard, berries and pastry. Is there a better combination? This is an elegant presentation of tasty ingredients.

A Bitchin' Kitchen said...

These are gorgeous! I love any type of mini-food (tartlettes, cupcakes, etc). I can't wait for strawberries to actually be in season where I live!

- Maggie

maameemoomoo@ ½ food blog said...

Gorgeous!!

I was contemplating on ordering BSB Cook Book for sometime now. Guess it's now a must already. Hahaaa!

Lacey @ dishfolio said...

Ummm....yum! Wow. Your food looks just amazing. We'd love to see your stuff posted at dishfolio.com!

baobabs said...

Yum!!! These are beautiful!

Dimah said...

Looks beautiful and delicious!

Unknown said...

Hey,

Gorgeous little tarts...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Oh Shirley it isn't fair...why can't I have one of these right in front of me to gobble up? XD They look utterly fantastic and you've sold me on that book as well!

Lulu_B said...

I just got back from Sydney and visited Bourke St Bakery. This tiny little bakery churns out under-rated tarts. I still salivate thinking about them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails