Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blood Orange Chiffon Cake With Blood Orange Jelly

BloodOrange Chiffon 1

BloodORange Chiffon 4

BloodOrange Chiffon 3

I was feeling ambitious when I finally managed to find some Blood Orange in Singapore. I dreamt about making one of those glorious Blood Orange desserts featured in Justin North's Becasse. Something gourmet enough to be served in a (dare I dream) hatted restaurant. Then, I dithered, procrastinated, went on to Korea for a business trip and by the time I got back, relented completely.
Not wanting to waste the hard to come by Blood Orange, I decided to revisit the Chiffon -my favourite cake genre. Chiffon, because it is light so I can dabble and serve it with a side accompaniment like a blood orange flavoured fresh cream or ice cream. In the end, I experimented with a Blood Orange Jelly.

BloodOrange Chiffon 2
The Blood Orange did not do much for the chiffon, not for the colour nor for the flavour. Although the juice is a dark bloody ruby red, it doesn't stain well (unlike the blueberries or the raspberries). The flavour is less vibrant than the normal orange, the zesty sprite very much mellowed by the slight bitterness of the blood orange. Hence I was glad that I had chosen to make a jelly with it - that at least allowed the true character of the fruit to manifest.

BloodOrange Chiffon 6
A couple more words about the Chiffon - I had said it before here and I will remain stubborn and maintain that I like my chiffon recipes, pure and simple - relying solely on a well beaten meringue sans leavening agents or stabilisers like cream of tartar. I went through the crazy phase of baking 1-2 chiffons every day just to practice and make sure that I get familiar with the right 'end point' for the meringue. A meringue that is a tad too stiff makes it difficult to fold evenly into the cake batter (symptoms include clumps of egg white spotting the cake) . On the other hand, a meringue that is too runny, would result in a sunken cake. The right consistency meringue (with a droopy peak) will deliver a cake that is fine, light and most important of all MOIST!
I am glad this cake turn out right and I have just reminded myself that I will have to do this often before I lose touch with it.
BloodOrange Chiffon 1(250)
Recipe :
Chiffon
                                           17cm Pan         20cm Pan
Egg Yolk                             40g                  80g
Castor Sugar A                   40g                   80g
Salad Oil                             40ml                 80ml    (I use Canola Oil but corn oil, grapeseed oil are fine)
Top flour / All purpose         80g                  160g
Salt                                      1/8 tsp             1/4 tsp
Bld Orange Juice                  80ml                160ml  (you can replace with normal orange juice)
Grated orange peel               1/3 tsp             2/3 tsp
Contreau                              1 tbsp              2 tbsp
Egg white                             160g                280g
Sugar B                                30g                  60g

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Using a hand whisk, beat egg yolk with 1/3 of Sugar A until sugar completely dissolves. Add the remaining sugar in 2 portions and whisk until dissolved and egg yolk mixture becomes smooth.
3. Add oil and beat well with hand whisk. Add orange juice, contreau and orange peel. Mix well to combine.
4. Add sifted flour and salt and mix well to get a smooth batter.
5. In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg white until slightly foamy. Add sugar B in 3 additions. Beat until meringue forms a soft peak. The peak should be droopy and not stiff and pointy.
6. Fold 1/4 of (5) into (4) and mix thoroughly to combine.
7. Fold the rest of the egg white gently into (6) until batter is well incorporated. Take care not to deflate meringue too much.
8. Pour (7) into a chiffon cake mold and bake at 170C for 35mins.
9. Remove cake from oven and invert the cake pan to cool. (i normally slot the chimney through the neck of a long slender wine bottle.)
10. Leave to cool over night before unmolding.

Blood Orange Jelly
1. Mix 8g of gelatine with 50ml of water.
2. Pulp blood orange fruit in a blender to get 250ml of liquid pulp.
3. Place (2) in a saucepan. Add 25g of sugar and 1 tsp of lemon juice. Heat until just before boiling. Add (1) and stir until fully dissolved.
4. Cool down and refrigerate to set.

33 comments:

Lisa H. said...

Beautiful cake and clicks ... :D

Jeannie said...

Looks so fine! lovely! I have recently tried baking this cake without cream of tartar too with favorable results:)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Jeannie- hi5! Good for you!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Lovely photos and nice tall chiffon. It's interesting that the blood colour in the orange didn't tint the cake to a darker shade of red or orange. Btw, I thought that jelly was a strawberry! Interesting texture of the jelly....thought jelly supose to be more smooth. 

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@bee bee- the jelly was not made with pure juice hence not smooth. I pulped the whole fruit hence there is solid in it. Deliberately wanted a rough texture vs wobbly jello.

WendyinKK said...

Oh so blood oranges are bitter.
I think I'll pass that.
Going to scrape that off my "want" list.

Unknown said...

hi! i just baked a chiffon cake today and i didnt fail! first time it came out right but not as tall because i used a larger tin

your cake looks gorgeous and chiffon is my favourite cake genre too! (even though i cant make it properly hehe)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Wendy,actually the bitterness is quite mild. If you enjoy the hint of bitterness in Grapefruits, you would like this.

Angie's Recipes said...

A beautiful chiffon with perfectly smooth and airy texture.

Von said...

I had a short period where a lot of my sponge cakes turned out as failures- it took me quite a quite to figure out that the reason was that my egg whites were always a bit too stiff :) Your chiffon cake looks lovely- I haven't made a chiffon cake for quite a while.....you make me want to make one! I haven't had a blood orange for so long I've forgotten what they taste like- but I love how they look!

Kristen said...

Orange is such a nice flavor in a cake. I love the jelly on the side. I bet it was quite tasty. It makes a lovely presentation.

La Table De Nana said...

I love orange flavor too..your cake looks moist and dense:) Like it would be just perfect!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Oo i LOVE blood orange & now that I finally got a tube pan I have no excuse not to try chiffon cake =D

Maria said...

The texture looks perfect and such a lovely flavour from the blood oranges!

daphne said...

I need to gather up some courage to learn how to make chiffon cake. I'm so glad you found blood orange and how you paired it up with a fluffy soft cake. Perfect!

Zurin said...

I have yet to try making a chiffon cake. yours looks tall and dignified. And I love the colour of the blood orange jello. Just the opposite of teh chiffon. Nice pairing!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm curious that the blood orange didn't stain your cake much. I would have expected it to turn the cake sanguine! hmm... very curious indeed.

the jelly looks so sorbet-like! must be real refreshing!

thecoffeesnob said...

I love, love, love blood oranges! I used to get so excited whenever blood oranges made a brief appearance at the markets in Melbourne.

It's such a pity the incredible flavours of the blood oranges didn't come through this cake but it's one I certainly wouldn't say no to :)

pigpigscorner said...

I heard so much about blood orange, didn't know it's bitter! Your chiffon looks great!

Torviewtoronto said...

soft delicious looking cake

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley,
where did you manage to find blood orange in SG? Thanks.

regds,
christine

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Hi Christine, I bought my blood oranges from Cold Storage at takashimaya and holland village. One version from Italy is sweeter than the other from US.

pickyin @ LifeIsGreat said...

Like Alan, I was hoping for a more orange cake... wonder if the juice can be concentrated to increase the flavor and color.

PapaCheong's 拿手好菜 said...

Look so nice! Must be very Yummy!


Papacheong
http://home-cook-dishes-for-family.blogspot.com/

Jo said...

Hi Shirley, I found my very first blood orange as well at Cold Storage, Great World and agree that it is not as fragrant as an ordinary orange. However the colour of the pulp is really extraordinary. BTW your chiffon looks gorgoeous.

Anh said...

just lovely! I found that making blood orange tart is the best way to showcase their color. Or even in salad :) But I love the lightness of chiffon cake!

Pei-Lin said...

Shirley, I've not tried nor did I come across blood orange in KL. Wonder how this citrus taste like, compared to the orange? By your description, less intense?!

Nonetheless, your chiffon looks pretty and moist! Man, I've gotta say, you're getting better and better at pastry making! I'm lagging behind ... *LOL*

tigerfish said...

I would not have known it is blood orange chiffon cake as the color in the cake does not say "blood orange" at all!

Katarina said...

Looks very yummy!

Anonymous said...

Dear Shirley,

thanks for the reply.

:) christine

Yummy Bakes said...

beautiful cake and nice photos too.

Janine said...

This "A meringue that is a tad too stiff makes it difficult to fold evenly into the cake batter (symptoms include clumps of egg white spotting the cake) ." TOTALLY described my cake!!! I've been wondering where I've been going wrong with my chiffon cakes, and I'm glad I saw this because now I know for sure and can finally go about mastering whipping my meringue :)

Ps, I really like the blue and white checkered linen :D

penny aka jeroxie said...

I still have not mastered the guts to make a chiffon. I will rem to keep it simple.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails