Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ginger Scallion Beef With Noodles 姜葱牛肉捞面

Beef Noodle 8

Beef Noodle 7

Beef Noodle 4

Beef Noodle 9

If a woman's eternal woe is having a closet full of clothes with nothing wear, I think a home cook's eternal woe is having a fridge full of food and not knowing what to eat....
I visit food blogs for many reasons but 2 of the fundamental ones are to search for recipes and for inspiration and reminders on what to eat and where to eat. Ellie's post on Ginger Scallion Beef 2 days ago was a timely reminder of what a great tasting dish this is. The craving set in instantly and as luck had it, I actually had all the ingredients in my fridge.

I used to cook this dish quite regularly and I don't follow any recipe for it. I had always taken a Chinese Cooking 101 approach when I made this. Seasoning was standard with soya sauce(both dark and light soya sauce), a pinch of sugar and a dash of pepper. The basic approach is always to season with the components that give colour and taste first, leave it to marinate and infuse before adding corn flour and oil... followed by a little water to keep it moist during cooking.

This beef dish is perfect with steaming white rice but I decided to serve this with tossed egg noodles. I simply cooked dried egg noodles (if you can get your hands on fresh wonton noodles, that would even be better) in water, drained off the water and toss it in a little oyster sauce, light soya sauce, pepper and sesame oil.

Fast, easy, nutritious and totally tasty. Who needs instant noodles or Mac Donalds?

Beef Noodle 3(250)
Recipe :

I don't follow a recipe but for those who needs some guideline, please hop over to Almost Bourdain. :)

20 comments:

Bakertan said...

Shirley,

I have an award for you =]

http://bakinglibrary.blogspot.com/2011/04/orange-craneberry-scones-and-awards.html

Ribbon and Circus said...

Shirley,

Ellie and you made me drool twice this week..hihi definitely will cook it this weekend ;)

Joanne said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about having a fridge full of food with nothing to eat! And also a house full of cookbooks with no idea which recipe to make. This ginger beef scallion noodles looks delicious. Love the sound of that sauce.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Joanne : EXACTLY. Love the cookbook extension to the gripe!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Agreed with you, visit a blog is easy to get inspiration for what to cook...so you just inspired me to make this noodle for my kids lunch .

Zurin said...

So true what u say Shirley... but in my case I may have all the ingredients and the inspiration but I still might not make something because I have to please everyone and not everyone likes the same thing.

The beef looks very tempting on those noodles. Ill go for noodles anytime!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is such a lovely dish. This is my first visit to your blog so I've been browsing through some of your earlier entries. I love food and am drawn to other people who share my passion. I've been charmed by your blog and love the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Mary- thank you for your lovely words, Mary. You would always be welcome here!

Unknown said...

Yum! This was a classic dish my mom use to always make for me

ann low said...

I love simple dish with simple ingredients. This will be my next meal on my table :)

La Table De Nana said...

The plate design and color could not be more perfect for this beautiful dish!

Anonymous said...

Shirley, your beef slices look so neat & perfect. Thanks for the shout-out!

Anonymous said...

Nice! I used to cook this quite often as well as a one dish meal to go with rice.

But I found it kinda difficult to get the "wok hei" right, like those we eat at chinese restaurants or tze char stalls. You have problems with that, shirley?

I love love love your plates! Where did ya get 'em from?

Jean said...

the beef slices look especially tempting!! Im more of a noodles than rice person as well. So this looks really delicious to me :)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@travelingfoodies: thanks! I think it will never be easy for us home cooks to get the kind of wok hei zhichar stalls delivers. I try my beSt with a thin steel wok and use the highest flame setting I can get with my stove. I got the plates from Burleigh UK. Shermay's Cooking School carries very few piece.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I used to make this quite often. It is hard to get the wok hei at home

Juliana said...

Oh! This beef noodle looks so tasty, what a perfect meal :-) Have a great weekend!

tigerfish said...

Initially, I thought I saw some kinds of moist juicy jerky on the noodles cos' the meat looks so thinly-sliced! :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mmm looks so flavorful! It's funny I don't really miss chicken or pork from eating meat when I was young, but sometimes I miss beef haha.

daphne said...

ahahhaha.. I like what u said about woes! How TRUE it is! I'm the same! surfing blogs inspire me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails