Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pistachio Dacquoise

Dacqois4
Pin It
Dacquois6
Pin It
Dacquois10
Pin It
If you are, like me, still staring at that container load of egg whites in the fridge, left over from all the Pineapple Tarts and Kueh Lapis CNY baking frenzy, then this is one recipe you will appreciate.
Less temperamental and with a simpler process than the macarons, these little cookies are every bit as French as their priMA donna cousins. I made these quite some time ago here after I acquired my dacquoise mold from Japan. Since then, the mold had sat in the cabinet, forlorn and neglected. So I am glad that this stood out as a reminder as I flipped through Pierre Herme's Le Livre des Fours Secs et Moelleux - another cookbook which I have had success with several times.

If you do not have a Dacquoise mold, you can still pipe these out round like macarons. They will still look super cute like little rustic looking burger cookies.

I decided to experiment a little with the recipe using Pistachio. Instead of the usual ground almond or hazelnut, I used a blend of ground pistachio and ground almonds with a white chocolate pistachio filling.    Pistachio cream, in my opinion, always have the ability to refine the taste of any pastry, elevating blandness to elegance.

I however, made a mistake when I made these. It is standard to dust the meringue generously with icing sugar before baking. The sugary surface will take on a crystalline crispy finish in the oven. I totally overlooked that and only realised my mistake when the dacquoises were baking away in the oven.
Nevertheless, I thought the cookies still look presentable and am happy with my simple experiment.

So, what else are you making with the left over egg whites? I still have a load of them.... (hopefully any suggested recipes would not require me to break any more eggs for yolks! :D )

Dacquois5(250)
Pistachio Dacquoise
Recipe: (this is a very small recipe that bakes only 6 cookies)
80g                     Egg white
25g                     Castor sugar
2g                       Dried powder egg white

25g                     Ground pistachio
25g                     Ground almond
50g                     Icing sugar
10g                     All purpose flour
Icing sugar for dusting

Filling :
40g                     White chocolate
40g                     Pistachio paste

Method :
1. Sift the ground pistachio, almond, icing sugar and flour together and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 170C.
3. In a clean and dry mixing bowl, whisk egg white and dried egg white powder together until foamy. Add castor sugar in 3 additions and continue whisking until stiff peaks are formed.
4. Fold in sifted dry ingredients from (1), taking care not to deflate the meringue.
5. If you are using the Dacquoise mold, mist the mold with water and lay it on a baking sheet/ silpat sheet.
6. Pipe (4) into each cavity of the dacquoise mold and scrape to level meringue.  (if you are not using the mold, simply pipe rounds on to the baking sheet. I particularly like to finish the rounds with a pointy tip)
7. Lift the dacquoise mold and dust the meringue with icing sugar. Once the icing sugar has melted into the meringue, dust one more time with icing sugar.
8. Bake at 170C for 20mins.
9. Cool down completely before removing the dacquoise from the baking sheet.
10. Our climate is humid. The cookies will soften if not stored in an air tight container hence I would advice to keep them in air tight containers and store in the fridge.
11. For the white chocolate pistachio filling, melt white chocolate over a bain marie. Mix in pistachio paste.
12. Pipe or apply filling on to dacquoise with a offset spatula. Sandwich with another cookie. 

18 comments:

Mrs Ergul said...

Totally making this! I've tons of egg white in the freezer. They look pretty!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Thanks for sharing, another recipe I must take note when I have leftover egg white. Have a lovely weekend.

Torviewtoronto said...

fabulous picture and dessert

The Sweetylicious said...

This look so pretty! Great job done :) may I know how the mold look like? Thank you very much!

Maricel said...

Kindly post a picture of your dacquiose mold. I haven't comae across ona and am curious as to how it looks like. Thanks.

daphne said...

What a treat- it's like high tea at home!!! I didn't know about the dusting them with icing sugar bit before heading to the oven.

Pavlova is the my fav way of using egg whites. So are chocolate mousse or even soufflés!

Happy Homebaker said...

There is always a dacquoise recipe on every cookies recipe books that I got my hands on, but I have never tried it since I have not tasted one. Yours look so inspiring that I could actually made them even though I do not have any leftover whites ;)
btw, just want to let you know I have something to share with you at my blog :)

WendyinKK said...

At first glance I thought these were wholemeal sandwiches and the pistachio cream looked like lettuce. LOL.
Hahaha... silly me.
I tried making dacquiose once, it hated me. It melted. It was a humid day. Anyway, yours look good.
Should I make dacquoise love me or the other way, LOL.

WendyinKK said...

Oh yes, why not make buttercream and freeze them? Fry rice with the whites, angel food cake, or even make steamed tofu?

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Wendy, yes, thanks for your suggestions! I am inclined go for the savoury dishes for now... :)

@Maricel @Sweetylicious - I have just posted a photo of my mold on my facebook page... have a look... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kokken/253111488081547

Janine said...

love how this looks, especially with the pistachio cream :) never mind you forgot about the sugar!

I make an "egg white butter cake" using only egg whites - I think my recipe came from Nick Malgieri if I'm not wrong - it's a pretty good butter cake for using up 4 whites!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Thanks, Janine- I will look for it.

zenchef said...

Oh gosh, I'm a sucker for pistachio so this is definitely for me. I wonder if they would break if you carefully put them in a box, wrap it in bubble wrap and send them to NY. :P

Deb said...

The vibrant green pistachio filling is spectacular! Delightfully elegant cookies, what a great idea for leftover egg whites.

tigerfish said...

Ha, I don't think I will ever have "excess egg whites" problem. But right here at your blog, I will always have "can see but can't eat" problem.

Cosy Bake said...

Really envy all the bakes you have done! great pictures and professional!
I would love to share an award with you, please drop by my blog ya!!

Noob Cook said...

your photography is gorgeously lovely, wish I can grab one from my screen.

Anh said...

how pretty is that filling?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails