Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Steamed Prawns With Egg White and Chinese Wine

Steamed Prawns2
Pin It
Steamed Prawns4
Pin It

Steamed Prawns3
Pin It

This is my second attempt to deplete the egg whites left over from my Lapis cake. Baking 6 Pistachio Dacquoise cookies did not quite help to make a dent in my bowl of egg whites and I desperately want to move away from sweets and butter for a short while.

This is a very handy recipe for seafood preparation at home.  The original recipe which I referred to featured steamed crabs instead of prawns but prawns work just as well and is more accessible for every day family meals.

The last prawn dish I cooked was a crispy golden fried prawns which is well received by all young and old. However, I have been brought up to remember that the best way to cook fresh seafood like fish, prawns and even crabs would be to steam them to retain as much of the original goodness of the ingredient as possible. Hence one of the most popular dishes served in seafood restaurants here is still steamed prawns or white water poached prawns in their shell.

What I like about this recipe is how the flavours of ginger, sesame oil and Chinese wine - each distinct enough on its own- meld together to result in a well balanced subtlety that is at the same time refined yet comforting.

I don't think this turned out quite right. I believe I did not control the heat well enough... having done which, I believe would result in a tofu like smoothness in the egg white. Well, I have no trouble at all repeating this again the next time I buy a batch of fresh prawns at the wet market...

Steamed Prawns3(250)
Steamed Prawns With Egg White & Chinese Wine
Reciepe (Adapted from Home Cooking With Sam&Forest)

300g            Fresh Prawns
5cm knob    Ginger, finely sliced.
Dash           Chinese cooking wine

Seasoning
1 (40g)        Egg White
4 tbsp (40g)Chicken stock
Pinch          Salt
Pinch          Sugar
Dash           Sesame oil

Garnish
Coriander leaves

Method :
1. Shell prawns to leave only the tail end intact. Devein and wash.
2. Lay prawns on a steaming plate.
3. Pour seasoning over prawns and sprinkle ginger over the prawns.
4. Set up steamer and wait until water is boiling. Place prawns in a steamer and steam over medium to high heat for 10mins until prawns are cooked.
5. Pour Chinese wine over prawns, garnish with coriander leaves and serve immediately while hot.

21 comments:

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I still have some leftover egg white. Will give a try. Thanks for sharing :)

WendyinKK said...

Err.. 10 mins on high heat for such a small plate is too much.
Try medium low heat, and stainless steel vessels are usually hotter than other types of pot/wok.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Wendy : Thanks Wendy! I will try again next time. I think porcelain bowl may be easier to manage.

Anonymous said...

use your egg white for 蛋白燉奶

Fionna said...

use your egg white for 蛋白燉奶

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Fionna - thanks for your suggestion :) Will check that out!

Jeannie said...

I am sure those shrimps still taste delicious! I don't mind having some, they are my favorite:D

daphne said...

Such a healthy protein filled dish! I am loving my protein at the moment and spotted some prawns on sale so I would love this.. especially for breakfast! LOL

tigerfish said...

This is a delicious dish despite how simple the ingredients go. YUM! Sometimes with egg whites or egg, heat can be a tricky issue.

Christina Kim said...

The classic and evergreen Chinese dish that never runs out of style anytime or anywhere!:) Love love love steamed prawns :D

Christina Kim said...

The classic and evergreen Chinese dish that never goes out of style anytime or anywhere!:)
I love steamed prawns, and the egg whites just enhanced that silky taste of the prawns ;)

La Table De Nana said...

Magazine worthy.Absolutely.

Edith said...

Simple and yet delectable! Yum.

XL @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Looks so mouthwatering!

Cheah said...

Hopped over at Jeannie's recommendation. Yummy dish and great clicks!

sean said...

我很喜欢虾的

mycookinghut said...

Lovely looking dish!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

You should steam on high heat and 7-8mins just perfect for medium size of prawn. Also can not add in egg white from beginning , add in on the last 2mins to have smooth egg white texture. This is how I steam this prawn, maybe I should made a post one day.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Thank you Sonia! I definitely will try again!

Noob Cook said...

what a great use of leftover egg white and your dish looks gorgeous.

WendyinKK said...

err.. actually I meant is the vessel you cook in, if your pot or wok is made of stainless steel, then it's hotter than aluminium or enameled ones.
But then again, yes porcelain plates could be easier.. and takes longer too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails