Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pistachio Marble Pound Cake


Pistachio Pound9

This is for all the pound cake lovers out there. I fail to track the number of pound cake recipes I had worked through Tish Boyle's The Cake Book. I think very soon, I would find myself baking through the whole Cake Book - it is just so reliably good.

Pistachio Pound7

Pistachio Pound2

This recipe is modified from Tish Boyle's Rich Marble Pound Cake With Chocolate Glaze. I have chosen to skip the frosting and keep it simple. I have also chosen to marble it with a pistachio flavoured batter rather than the chocolate one featured in her book.

Pistachio Pound8
The effect is quite lovely as I had imagined. In place of the dark brown swirl, the jade green marbling instantly brightens the otherwise plain pound cake and makes it look... brand new. Talk about a cake-makeover!

I am going to keep this post short as I am rushing to tie things up before I leave for my travels again. Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy the pound cake!

Rich Pistachio Pound Cake
Pistachio Pound7(250)
Recipe

342g/3cups Cake Flour
2tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
500g/1.5cups Castor sugar, divided (Please reduce this to 300g- original recipe is too sweet)

20g Natural cocao powder (I replaced this with 50g Pistachio paste)
90ml Water

340g/3sticks Unsalted butter

1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 large Eggs
120ml (1/2cup) Whole milk

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 325F/ 190C. Grease the inside of a 10inch bundt pan and dust with flour.
2. Sift Cake flour, baking powder and salt and set it aside.
3. In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter at medium speed for 2 minutes until creamy.
4. Add sugar and continue to cream for 4 mins at medium to high speed.
5. Add vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time and mix at medium speed until well mixed.
6. Add sifted flour mixture in 3 additions and alternating it with 2 additions of milk.
7. Mix cocoa powder with water in a small bowl. Add 3 cups of the batter to the cocoa mixture and stir until blended. (I added my pistachio paste here instead of the cocoa mixture)
8. Spoon 1/3 of plain batter into the prepared bundt pan and smooth it to an even layer. Spoon 1/3 of the chocolate (pistachio) mixture over the plain layer and smooth to even out. Repeat until all batter is used up finishing with the chocolate layer.
9. Bake at 190C for 60-75mins or until the skewer comes out clean.

30 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Hi, saw your marble pound cake this morning, my hands are itchy now.. hehe. May I ask where can I obtain Pistachio paste? Self made? Thks.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I have bookmarked Trish Boyle's plain pound cake but now you come with another beautiful pound cake, now i can not decide to go with which one first, hehehe..Great choice to replace cocoa with pistachio, very lovely green swirl..maybe i should try this one first..Have a nice vacation..

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Lovely swirls there! I would live a big slice. It's too bad my girl is allergy to pistachios, so none of that will appear in my kitchen. Btw, you've convinced me to buy Tish Boyle's book! Safe travels!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Jocelyn- I got my paste in Hong Kong but Sun Lik carries it. You can get it there.

mycookinghut said...

Lovely pound cake! Would be nice to eat with a cup of tea.

hanushi said...

I love the cheerful combination of green and yellow in your pound cake! It is interesting to use pistachio! :)

Jo said...

Definitely a very pretty and stricking cake. I have Tish Boyle's book by the way.

Shumaila said...

That looks absolutely beautiful! Each time you post a pound cake recipe, I think its the most beautiful pound cake I have seen, only to be proven wrong by your next pound cake post. You are the pound cake queen!

daphne said...

If I were you, I would have squeal in delight to see those pretty swirls!!! You are such a talented baker- with contemporary photography skill!

tasteofbeirut said...

A beautiful cake! Love using pistachio whenever i can and this is one perfect opportunity!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

What a gorgeous cake. The marbling effect is absolutely stunning.

I've made a green tea pound cake that I loved so I'm sure I'll love this too!

Passionate About Baking said...

It's so pretty. I like the look of the crumbs.

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

That's a beautiful looking cake, and great photo too! Wish I could make one too, but I doubt I can find pistachio paste here. The colour is really stunning!

Helena / Rico sin Azúcar said...

I've just discovered you through Foodgawker: great recipes and wonderful photos!
This cake looks amazing. I think it won't be easy to find pistachio paste here... but maybe ground pistachio will work ;-)

Thanks for the recipe!

Mel said...

Oh another pound cake..... I think I have fallen in love with pound cake after the Tish Boyle's Pound Cake. You have made such a beautiful one this time again with that green swirl in it. Bet it must be delicious too

WendyinKK said...

The pistachio swirl is absolutely beautiful.

Yummy Bakes said...

Very nice cake - especially the swirls.

MyFudo™ said...

I love how you presented it. The green swirls got me convinced!

Swee San @ the Sweet Spot said...

what a lovely combination of colour! (and flavour!) Pistachio paste makes a better jade-like colour than green tea..

ICook4Fun said...

This is one of the prettiest pound cake I even seen. I love the combination of the white and green on the cake.

Unknown said...

looks beautiful! i love pistachios, so i'm sure it tastes great as well!!

Noob Cook said...

the marbling swirls looks really incredible.

QembarDelites said...

I can't stop staring at the beautiful color on your cake! Simply gorgeous!

Deb said...

The green pistachio swirls are reminiscent of our early spring here in California. A tempting cake indeed!

Anonymous said...

Can't you make your own pistachio paste? Just put some pistachios in a food processor?

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Anonymous - You most certainly can. With a powerful food processor and sugar (maybe a little oil) ... almost like making peanut butter. I don't have a recipe for that, though - unfortunately.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Anonymous - You most certainly can. With a powerful food processor and sugar (maybe a little oil) ... almost like making peanut butter. I don't have a recipe for that, though - unfortunately.

Rima said...

OMG! why lah.. i will bake this! hehehe

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley... I baked this last night and it tastes wonderful . Not too rich. My family loves it. Instead of pistachio, I used cocoa powder and kahlua. Yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am so going to buy this book.

Rong

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Rong : So glad to know you liked it :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails