This is for all the pound cake lovers out there. I fail to track the number of pound cake recipes I had worked through Tish Boyle's The Cake Book. I think very soon, I would find myself baking through the whole Cake Book - it is just so reliably good.
This recipe is modified from Tish Boyle's Rich Marble Pound Cake With Chocolate Glaze. I have chosen to skip the frosting and keep it simple. I have also chosen to marble it with a pistachio flavoured batter rather than the chocolate one featured in her book.
The effect is quite lovely as I had imagined. In place of the dark brown swirl, the jade green marbling instantly brightens the otherwise plain pound cake and makes it look... brand new. Talk about a cake-makeover!
I am going to keep this post short as I am rushing to tie things up before I leave for my travels again. Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy the pound cake!
Rich Pistachio Pound Cake
342g/3cups Cake Flour
2tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
500g/1.5cups Castor sugar, divided (Please reduce this to 300g- original recipe is too sweet)
20g Natural cocao powder (I replaced this with 50g Pistachio paste)
340g/3sticks Unsalted butter
1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 large Eggs
120ml (1/2cup) Whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 325F/ 190C. Grease the inside of a 10inch bundt pan and dust with flour.
2. Sift Cake flour, baking powder and salt and set it aside.
3. In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter at medium speed for 2 minutes until creamy.
4. Add sugar and continue to cream for 4 mins at medium to high speed.
5. Add vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time and mix at medium speed until well mixed.
6. Add sifted flour mixture in 3 additions and alternating it with 2 additions of milk.
7. Mix cocoa powder with water in a small bowl. Add 3 cups of the batter to the cocoa mixture and stir until blended. (I added my pistachio paste here instead of the cocoa mixture)
8. Spoon 1/3 of plain batter into the prepared bundt pan and smooth it to an even layer. Spoon 1/3 of the chocolate (pistachio) mixture over the plain layer and smooth to even out. Repeat until all batter is used up finishing with the chocolate layer.
9. Bake at 190C for 60-75mins or until the skewer comes out clean.