Announcement

This site will be migrating to a new address.
Please visit me at @Køkken and change your subscription to this blog to my RSS Feed

You Will Be Redirected!

Please do not leave any more messages on this blog. I will not be publishing or responding to any more comments left here. You will be automatically redirected to http://www.atkokken.com All posts have been migrated. You will be able to locate any posts by performing a quick search at my new site. Thank you.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Lemon Souffle Pancakes

Pancake3

Pancake 8

Post Christmas, for me, is a time to chill, to lounge around the couch watching TV and contemplating when is a good time to check out the post Christmas sales in town.... Heaven forbid that I should have to mess up my kitchen again with ambitious cooking... I am still reeling from the Christmas Day dinner I hosted. It was literally Masterchef Challenge mode the whole day, prepping and cooking one dish after another... all the while consciously trying to keep things neat in the kitchen while I worked... I almost succeeded until guests decided to saunter into the kitchen to 'help' and I had to cook while 'baby sitting'  them.... It had just dawned on me that I am truly the mistress of my kitchen. Only I know how to groove around my kitchen, how to put things away, where to reach for my tools....

So after a feast of Laksa, Ayam Goreng, Tauhu Tek, Morimoto Tuna pizza, Hawaiian Pizza( for the kids)  and Ondeh Ondeh... post Christmas breakfast is best kept light and simple. These feather-light, citrus flavoured pancakes from Bill Granger's Bills Sydney Food are just the perfect way to greet a cool breezy morning. Paired with strawberries left over from Christmas Day's Summer Sangria, I am almost tempted to embark on a low fat detox program... maybe after New Year...or more realistically, after Chinese New Year... :)

Hail The Holidays! Enjoy!
Pin It  
Pancake5 (250)
Lemon Souffle Panckes
Recipe :
3/4 cup                   Buttermilk (I used normal milk)
2                             Egg yolks
3 tsp                       Grated Lemon zest
2 tbsp                     Lemon Juice
1 tsp                       Vanilla Extract
25g                         Butter (melted)
3/4 cup                   All purpose flour
1 tsp                       Baking powder
3 tbsp                     Castor sugar
A pinch                  Salt
2                            Egg whites

To serve
Strawberries, halved
1 tbsp            Honey
Icing sugar for dusting

Method :

1. Mix egg yolks, milk, vanilla essence, lemon juice and lemon zest together in a bowl. Add melted butter and mix well.

2. Sift flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the  flour mixture and pour in (1) gradually and mix flour with milk mixture until the dry ingredients are moistened. Be careful not to overmix.

3. Place egg white in a clean bowl and beat until soft peaks are formed.  Fold in egg white into (2).

4. Melt a small portion of butter in a heated non-stick frying pan.  Place 2 tbsp of the batter from (3) into the pan. Cook until the cake turns golden brown on the underside and looking dry on the edges. Flip over and continue to cook the other side.  transfer to a plate and keep warm while cooking remaining batter.

5. Toss fresh strawberries with honey and a light dusting of icing sugar.  Dust pancakes with icing sugar and serve immediately.



30 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Hahaha.. one more month to CNY, detox first so that you can indulge more later.
Just like dirty dishes, wash first, soil it later again. It's easier to wash when it's not left around for too long, LOL.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Wendy: Good philosophy :D !

Passionate About Baking said...

Looks really light and healthy! I must also eat light now, else CNY is only less than a month away! Merry Christmas Shirley!

pickyin @ LifeIsGreat said...

Hahah! I'm the dictator of my kitchen. I don't allow guest to 'help' at all, even Vijay gets ordered around.

Post Christmas I don't even cook, just nibble on leftovers and call a cookie breakfast. Between now and CNY, will try to squeeze in more workout time in the hopes of not putting on anymore weight. Happy holidays!

Bakertan said...

Merry Xmas and happy 2012 Shirley! May you have a fun-filled year ahead. Look forward to your CNY bakes soon =]

hanushi said...

Merry Christmas! Looks so yummy!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I have been eating too much during my makan trip to Penang, I need your light pancake for sure , hehehe.. Happy Holidays to you too Shirley.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley, understand wat you meant. I iced not to host this but to get invited, cheers to a New Year!

Wyndi

Noob Cook said...

pretty photos! ya, I agree detox after CNY :x Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Jo said...

Delicious breakfast recipe. I too did my fair share of "Masterchef" 2weekends ago when I hosted pre Xmas dinner. Resolution is to do a no-carb diet next week until CNY. Too much eating this holiday period and more feasting this week as well. Sigh! Happy hols and to a great 2012 for you.

daphne said...

what a light breakfast!! and you are so right..everyone needs a recipe like this after christmas.

Sherleen.T said...

so good to have this pancake in the morning, light and appetizing :)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Pickyin- Yes, I agree - next time I should be more firm about people staying out of the kitchen. Good thing about this dinner was I managed to control the portions... no left overs! Yay! :)

zenchef said...

I think after all the holiday cooking you're finally ready for the Masterchef challenge. Should I sign you up? :P
I wanted to do crepe souffle the other day so I guess great minds think alike, right? It looks delicious.

Jeannie said...

These pancakes look great for breakfast! I love simple food after a festive binge too! Makes me feel less guilty lol!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I keep telling my husband want to prepare pancakes for breakfast but till now...hehehe

Edith said...

A good choice after all those eating.

Jess Joseph said...

How many pancakes does this make? They look gorgeous.

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

These look so perfect and so scrumptious!!!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Jess Joseph : To be honest, I lost count :)... I was eating while cooking them... I reckon you can get about 8- 10...

Unknown said...

shirley, those pancakes look delicious! i think i want to make them for my new year's breakfast!

hope the holidays also gave you time to relax!

thecoffeesnob said...

Wow, that must have been some feast you whipped up for your Christmas party!

This certainly looks like the perfect way to unwind with after the whole Christmas madness!

tigerfish said...

What a delicious spread you have prepared. A great way to end this year and start a new one :)

Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Indeed feather light and beautiful I so want to make them for special holiday breakfast!

Sarahskitchenblog said...

These look so delicate and lovely - perfect for a ladies brunch I'm hosting in the next week ! And I just love the presentation :)

Megan said...

The recipe sounds amazing! It says to mix in lemon juice, but I don't see in the recipe where it says how much juice to use. Help?

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

@Megan: I almost missed out your comment... I apologise. Good catch,Megan. I must have overlooked the lemon juice when I was typing out the recipe. (my least favourite part about writing my post :) ) The quantity is 2 tbsp. I have amended the recipe. Thanks!

Susan said...

Great new recipe to try at The Lions Gate Inn Bed & Breakfast in Oregon. They sound wonderful!!
WordpressCookHappywithSusan..my new blog.

At Home with Rebecka said...

I found your site via Pinterest and your amazing photo of these delicious Lemon Souffle Pancakes. I can't wait to make them this weekend. I'm now following you. Please stop by my food blog, At Home with Rebecka. Best Regards, Rebecka

Julie said...

Thank you for the recipe. The photo is beautifully inspiring.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails